Open Mon-Fri: 5PM to 10PM, Sat: 12PM to 8PM, Sun: 12PM to 6PM

Chateau Veterinary Hospital Make an Appointment 504-467-6431
Ten Christmas Holiday Hazards for Pets

Ten Christmas Holiday Hazards for Pets

Holidays are wonderful times for everyone in the family, but we need to take extra precautions to keep our pets safe!          

  1. Chocolate: At any time of the year chocolate can be toxic for pets. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is.     
  2. Snow globes: Snow globes may contain antifreeze, small amounts of which can cause kidney failure.
  3. Flower arrangements: While poinsettias get a bad rap, they usually only cause a mild mouth or stomach irritation. Lilies in flower arrangements are attractive to cats and very poisonous. Even a small amount can cause kidney failure.
  4. Tinsel: Cats, and sometimes dogs, love to play with shiny strings like tinsel. What we call a “string foreign body,” is one of the most common cause of intestinal surgery in cats.
  5. Stretch string ribbon for presents: See tinsel, above                 
  6. Xylitol: Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many products and can cause fatal blood pressure problems in dogs.
  7. Alcohol: If indulging in eggnog, or other holiday beverages, please keep away from your pets.
  8. Macadamia nuts: Even a small amount can cause severe vomiting, depression, and weakness.
  9. Small pieces of children’s toys: In the excitement of presents, small toys or pieces of toys may be swallowed by equally excited pets.
  10. The Christmas tree:  What cat can resist climbing an indoor tree! Excited pups may also knock down the tree, so make sure it is well secured or out of pets’ reach.
Chateau Veterinary Hospital
Translate »